20091124

End of Module Critical Evaluations-Promo Print

The promo print project was used to introduce us the software Quark Express. The brief was given out and it informed us to make an 8-page booklet (similar to a CD sleeve) documenting the work we had covered throughout the module of Text and Image. We had to write a short passage about our strengths, and ourselves with one page dedicated to an Artist/graphic designer/illustrator/visual communicator who inspire us. We had an introduction into grids and layouts, learning the meanings to all the words used when dealing with a grid or a layout. We learnt that a grid is for designer’s eyes and a layout is for the reader’s eyes. We worked in groups in a mini task to create a layout each for a book to portray variety. The idea to work in groups was good as we were all able to crit each other’s work and agree on orders or ideas for layouts.
I like the thoughts behind the ideas processes in layout design. With lots of quick and rough thumbnail sketches to gain ideas and find influence. Pages that are very busy and full of scribbles and sketches are ideal to my kind of learning. My influences for having sideways text are varied. I wanted a different element for my booklet, and something as subtle as that changes the entire booklet. I think I am keener on the white space it leaves. Also I have recently read a book called 'the art of looking sideways', which may have had a subconscious influence on my choice.

I enjoyed using Quark, or more specifically I enjoyed experimenting with grids, layouts and ordering my work into a consistent booklet (or attempting to!) Many have told me that Adobe In Design is an easier and more versatile programme to use so I look forward to being introduced to that. On the final PDF view of my booklet, once I had printed it off, I had noticed that on page 5 I had left an accidental hyphenation in the text. This was purely accidental, and after printing it off once already, I felt it necessary to mention it here as apposed to spending more money on printing a new one off.

Word Count: 371

No comments:

Post a Comment