20101022

Brand Identity: James Jamerson



The brand identity brief asked us to come up with a business card, letterhead and compliments card for our chosen client. All the clients that were given out are deceased and are known for various accomplishments. I chose James Jamerson and these are early final visuals that I took to my critique with me. He was a bass player for 95% of all Motown tracks and was influential in the field of bass guitar playing, being the first artist to take a double bass and flip it horizontally and play it like a guitar. He was very talented but hardly anyone knew about him. He took on the label as an 'unsung hero' as all the attention would have been on the stars such as the Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. I wanted to portray this in my work by making the image of him intentionally hard to see. Similar situation with the thought behind the typeface. The 4 bars running through the image represent the 4 strings on a bass guitar that are all different thicknesses that, in some ways, Jamerson was hiding behind throughout his career as a musician, whether it was intentional or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment