20110329

WRL - Interview with James Roberts



As part of my work related learning module, today I had an informal interview with designer and ex Visual Communication student, James Roberts. He now works at BeCreative based in Brighton and he is a mid level designer, and the companies services include:

  • Design for Print - Brochures, Leaflets, Stationary
  • Daily National Press Advertising Service
  • Direct Mail Campaigns
  • Corporate Identity
  • Large Format Posters, Banners
  • Points of Sale
  • Websites, Animated Banners
  • Emails, HTML, Newsletters

During my time talking to him, I asked him how he went about this Work Related Learning unit, as I expressed my stress and inability to get a visit from ANY design offices that I had contacted. He said that he too had a hard time getting a placement but eventually managed to find one through 'pesting' companies. Thats how he put it. 'Pesting'. I personally hate this idea. He also said that, like me, he does not enjoy speaking on the telephone. So his jobs came from constant emails to nearly every company in Dorset. I do not want to beg and pest managing directors, as I feel it would become very annoying and the person would just end up not wanting you at all. The way I see it, is the design company are obviously going to be open to hearing people that want to work and will consider you, but the ones that are far too busy wont bother replying. Unfortunately I have had a lot of the latter.

He told me about how he had known people to come up with innovative ways of getting noticed whilst applying for a job. One person he knew had sent the company a toilet brush, with a note saying 'Im willing to scrub the toilets if you're willing to give me a chance. Another one, a personal favourite, was someone sending a photo of himself completely naked (covering up of course), with the strapline 'I need some briefs, can you help me out?'. I might try this one.

I also learnt that it does not hurt to show off other qualities other than design. He said this factor was the reason for him getting his first job. The fact he could speak to the MD in a foreign language was a persuading characteristic that he could use over other candidates, that probably had more experience than him.

James also encouraged me to look in places that you would normally ignore or not even think to look in. He told me about the time he once went into the job centre to see if there were any design related jobs going in there. But he told me that if I ever see anything I like, to take a note of it and not to be scared to email them and ask them about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment