20091124

End of Module Critical Evaluations-Poole

The first brief that we were gievn on the course of Visual Communication, inside the module of Text and Image, was to design an editorial illustration promoting the regeneration of Poole. This was my first insight into higher education and we were thrown right into the thick of things. Deliberately being given a very broad brief, the tutors awaited to see how we would all individually approach and solve the brief. We were encouraged to be creative and experimental and to try out as many different styles and techniques as possible. Usually I have struggled with these kind of things at past places of education, due to being able to work in my comfort zone and not getting encouraged to maybe change. We have been introduced to so many techniques and ways of learning that this had pretty much been eradicated from my thoughts since the start of the course. During this brief we visited Poole and were told to do some visual recording of the area. Personally I am very intrigued by typography and the process of how company's choose different typefaces for different things. I always wonder what factors they chose the final typeface on, so alot of my visual recordings were type based. For my Editorial Illustration I chose to concentrate on a photo i took that day. It was a photo of the boat masts in the docks, i got a dark and eerie feeling about it and could picture it with darker colours. I changed all of the boat masts and cables to a silhouette also and it kind of made the image look like a grave yard.To relate it to the regeneration of Poole i illustrated a crane into the image to make it look as if it was blending in with the boat masts. The idea of the regeneration taking up to 10 years, i played on the fact that the scene of cranes may be something people will have to put up with.

Word Count: 331

No comments:

Post a Comment