20110322

2nd visit to Westbourne church open breakfast.

I was a little more relaxed going into this one. I had got to know the volunteers and a few of the faces that come in to have their breakfast so I felt a little more at ease. I didnt hang around this week and think I felt more confident with a camera in front of me this week.

Adrian
Adrian didn't speak to me much but I was told about him from one of the volunteers. He used to be a Head Master at a school in the Dorset area but a panic attack saw him lose his job and struggle to hold down work ever since due to the side effects he still suffers. He was a very intelligent man who was noticeably well spoken.

John
John became homeless when his wife kicked him out of the house that they had bought together for them and their children. He had been with her, living in Blackpool, for 14 years before they got married. But were only married for 6 months before their separation. It was the drink that was Johns downfall also. I didn't ask too much about it as it is human nature to not want to talk about your darkest times to complete strangers. But I believe he lost his job as he started turning up late and in no state to work. He is originally from Birmingham and grew up in the same area as my Dad funnily enough. He is getting his life back order, as he now has a bedsit that he can fund with jobseekers allowance, and at the time of writing, is getting ready to start a job in 3 weeks time. He says that if his wife ever sells the house he is giving his half to the kids, stating that he'll be "alright".

Simon 'Doormouse'
Simon is originally from South Africa who moved here with his parents when he was younger. He talked about his very short marriage but not much as to how he became homeless. However whilst I was standing with him, one of his friends asked him when his last 'blow out' was. A blow out is a term used by the homeless community that means you have been sober for a while, and then you just forget about reality and slip into your own little world, whatever and wherever that is. He described the feeling being very addictive and if you haven't drunk for a while it doesn't cost you much at all to have a blowout. He also said that there are many 'soupies' in Bournemouth and there is no reason to ever go hungry.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment